Skip To Main Content

Supplemental Educational Services

What are Supplemental Educational Services (SES)?

SES are free tutoring services that are available to increase the academic achievement of students from low-income families attending public schools receiving Title I funds and designated as Program Improvement (PI), Year 2 or beyond.

For 2012-2013 the Hayward Unified School District schools providing SES services will be: Bowman Elementary, Eldridge Elementary, Palma Ceia Elementary, Tyrrell Elementary, Fairview Elementary, Strobridge Elementary, Cherryland Elementary, Glassbrook Elementary, Harder Elementary, Park Elementary, Ruus Elementary, Schafer Park Elementary, Chavez Middle School, King Middle School and Winton Middle School.

The tutoring services are to be provided beyond the regular school day and must be research-based, consistent with the core academic content and instruction used by the local educational agency (LEA), and aligned with the state academic content standards in English-language arts (ELA), science and mathematics.

See the list of Hayward's SES Providers approved by CDE.

Who is eligible to receive SES?

Eligible students are those who attend public schools that have been identified as PI schools in Years 2-5 and who are from a low-income family. LEAs have the responsibility of identifying eligible students for SES.  Because funding is limited, priority must be given to children from low-income families who have scored Far Below Basic or Below Basic in their English and/or Mathematics 2009-10 California Standards Test.

What is a state-approved SES provider?

A provider of SES may be any public or private (non-profit or for-profit) entity that meets the State's criteria for approval.  

How are providers selected for approval by the CDE?

Organizations submit an application to the CDE to become an SES provider, as defined in the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act of 2001, Title I, Part A, Section 1116(e). Those who meet the quality requirements specified under the California Code of Regulations, Title 5 for the SES program are recommended to and approved by the State Board of Education (SBE).

How can parents select a provider for their eligible child?

HUSD will sponsor an SES Provider Fair in October.  This is an opportunity for parents to learn about each program and what each provider has to offer.  Parents must obtain a Parent Application for services either at the fair or from their school’s principal.  Interested parents must complete and return their completed application to their child’s principal.  Parents will be contacted by the selected provider after all requests have been processed.  Please keep in mind that if all parents of eligible students request services there may not be space for everyone.  Federal guidelines state that priority must be given to the lowest achieving students as determined by the most recent California Standards Test scores and Free and low socio-economic status.

HUSD Participation in SES

School Year

Number of Eligible Students in English Language Arts

Number of Eligible Students in Math

Number of Students Participating in Services


3,836 3,449 622


3,014 829













Which children may receive SES if the demand for services exceeds the level that funds can support?

If sufficient funds are not available to serve all low-income children, a LEA must give priority to the lowest-achieving, low-income students [Section 1116(b) (10) (C)]. The LEA should use fair and equitable criteria in determining which students are the lowest-achieving, and should use professional judgment in applying those criteria.

What is the role of parents in SES?

Parents are to be active participants in the SES program.

At the local level, parents must be able to choose from among all SES providers identified by CDE for the area served by the LEA or within a reasonable distance of that area. In addition, the LEA must assist parents in selecting a provider, if such help is requested [Section 1116(e) (2) (B)]. Parents should also have an option to change or terminate services, if they are not satisfied.

At the provider level, parents, the LEA, and the provider chosen by the parents must develop and identify specific academic achievement goals for the student, measures of student progress, and a timetable for improving achievement [Section 1116(e)(3)(A)]. All parents whose children receive SES must be regularly informed of their child's progress [Section 1116(e) (3) (B)].

In the case of a student with disabilities, or a student covered under Section 504, the provisions of a SES agreement regarding specific academic achievement goals for the student, the measures of student progress, and the timetable for improving achievement must be consistent with the student's individualized educational program (IEP) under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) or the student's specialized services under Section 504. However, SES is in addition to, and not a substitute for, the instruction and services required under IDEA and Section 504 and should not be part of IEPs or Section 504 plans.

How often should parents and teachers receive information about student progress?

As part of the service agreement, the LEA and provider, after consultation with the parents, must agree to a schedule for informing parents and the child's teacher(s) about the child's progress. The intent of this requirement is to ensure that students are improving their academic achievement and that instructional goals are being met.

For more information about SES

If you have questions about Supplemental Education Services or your options for participation, please contact your school’s principal or the HUSD’s Coordinator of Federal & State Programs at 510-784-2607.

CDE guide to Supplemental Education Services